Steadfast Refusal to Use Autumnal Colours

Light weighted side

 

Remember the rainbow gradient quilts I mentioned in my last post?

Dark weighted side shot

They’re coming along nicely! One (at the top of this post) has already been spoken for (a pal saw my upload of it on Instagram and asked if she could dibs it).

Folded top

The tops are all sewn together and they’re just waiting on the batting arrive. I’m going back to cotton/bamboo batting I’ve raved about so much and I’m making the most of the luxury of space in my studio by ordering a whole roll of it. I can’t wait. I also bought a proper quilting foot and I’ve figured out how to make my poor beleagued BM-2600 do free motion quilting, I hope. I’m planning a kind of spirograph inspired pattern with the quilting – riffing off the hexagonal shape of them. I’ve also got a custom commission in the works.

It’s for a friend’s mother who is a sportsmad Dundein-ite who apparently sits up until the wee small hours in the bitter cold to cheer for her teams and needs something to keep her warm as she does so. I pulled the fabrics for it from my stash this afternoon and I’ll be cutting them tomorrow. I’m thinking something similar to the chevrons I did last year since it’s still one of my favourite patterns and will come together quickly.

Colours pulled for Chevrons

Soothing greens and blues. Yes this does mean I’ve technically added three more WIPs to my list, but I did claim 2015 was the year of finishing WIPs up, so I still have oodles of time to knock these ones out…

I also finished off the baby jumper I was working on:

Baby jumper green incl sleeve

Baby jumper green folded

 

I took some snaps hastily on my tablet before posting it off so the first of these two photos is closest to the actual colour. It’s only the second actual garment I’ve knitted; I usually stick to simpler things like scarves which have decidedly more margin for error. I only had to frog a couple of rows and those were mostly because I tried to knit while flying through turbulence. Learn from my mistakes. Turbulence is the universe telling you to just sit tight and enjoy another complimentary wine rather than trying to cable anything.

I have the gorgeous red cotton from a few months back coming together as a cabled hat right now – my first attempt at knitting in the round. So far I’m not the biggest fan of knitting in the round, it seems to go much slower than I’d like but the cotton is dreamy to work with so I’ll make do. I also have not one but TWO generous colleagues in Australia offering to show me how to crochet which I think I will enjoy. It looks a lot more portable than knitting (one needle, rather than 2 to 5).

Also! I realised I never did come through with my promise to show off the truly enormous rainbow quilt from a few years back. It lives on our bed now and our latest redecoration means it now matches the bedroom.

Bedroom

 

Finally, to make up for this fairly scant post have a truly hilarious author photo, courtesy of a friend of mine. My current portrait aesthetic seems to be ‘austere’ which is quite at odds from the saturated colour work I’m doing but never mind.

March2015promo-1

 

 

 

 

 

Finally Some Finishes

FINALLY after what feels like an age I have some finished quilts to post about! I polished off the binding on Indigo Pinwheels yesterday and finished the quilting of my lingering French Braid shortly after. I decided that was close enough to finishing some WIPs to allow me to cut into some new fabrics.

Here’s the finished images of Indigo Pinwheels. If you have a hankering to throw it over your own couch/bed/pet then it’s up for grabs.

DSCF9359 (1024x768)

DSCF9368 (768x1024) DSCF9367 (1024x767) DSCF9365 (1024x768)

And the French Braid is getting close to completion too (I forgot that thin stripes photograph horribly. Newsreader Syndrome.)

DSCF9373 (1024x768) DSCF9370 (1024x768) DSCF9369 (1024x768)

 

For the next quilts I’m making I’m using the rainbow gradient fabrics I mentioned in my last post, cutting stripes off each and sewing them together from greatest to least density of colour and then cutting an equilateral triangle out of the middle. The way it’s set up should allow me to sew the offcuts together into a second triangle so from one set of cuts and sewing I should get two inverse quilts – one moving from darkest at the centre to lightest at the edges and the other the opposite. I have a couple of action shots thanks to my lovely partner who was working in his studio at the same time as I was in mine.

DSCF9396 (768x1024)

DSCF9385 (768x1024)

 

I think this is the first new quilt I’ve started since the Fair Isle quilt in November/December. I’m enjoying working with such lush colours.

DSCF9375 (1024x768)

DSCF9374 (1024x768)

I had time to sew up the yellow and orange segments yesterday before I had to call time around 1am. Here are a couple of pictures to show you what I’m on about. The finished quilts should be hexagonal, around 200cm across.

DSCF9397 (1024x768)

DSCF9400 (1024x768)

I’m still working on the baby cardigan I mentioned last time – knitting is for travel, I’ve decided. I can’t sit that still when I’m at home. I should have it polished off in the next day or two and then I have a hat planned with a scarlet cotton. My quilts will wait until I get home again.

DSCF9401 (1024x768)