I’ve been making slow but steady progress on my latest quilt top. As of tonight I have to piece six more blocks, and then the pressening can commence (and I can sew them together into a finished top.) I cut my fabrics into 6″ squares, then grouped them roughly into lighter and darker fabrics so that I can make pinwheels from them. I paired them off and ruled a line diagonally along one from corner to coner, then sewed with a 1/4″ hem along both sides of the line so that once I cut them free I had two matching 6″ squares made from triangles. Minimal cutting, minimal pinning. Perfectly lazy.
As you can see, I’m still cutting everything out on my lounge room floor because I hate my knees. Down with knees. Boo hiss.
Visible in the top right-ish of this picture is the feverish 3am maths I did to figure out how much fabric I needed for my next quilting endeavour (more on that later in the post.)
Once I’d cut everything I then matched all the squares up so that they were in sets of four where all the 6″ squares had one fabric in common and the rest different (you’ll see what I mean in the first completed square below.) It took a while. It took a lot of swapping. George, naturally, helped a lot.
Only 29 more to go. I actually lucked out and bought some cheap batting off Amazon (Warm Company Batting 90-Inch by 96-Inch Warm and White Cotton Batting, Full) and was so delighted that it shipped to NZ that I ordered two, which should serve to bat (is that the verb form?) this quilt, and the next two baby quilts I make AND have enough left over for me to make some little coasters or something using a cathedral window design.
Oh yes! Baby quilts. I’m making two baby quilts in two different colourways for a pal who is pregnant with her second child. One for the new baby and one for her toddler, because, speaking as an eldest child, things are rough when the baby starts getting all the gifts. I’m using Kelby Sews’ Chevron Tutorial and can’t wait to get started. I think I’m going to be doing 5.5″ and 3″ squares, so the finished quilts should be ~110cm x 150cm. I bought an extra fabric in the yellow/orange colour scheme because I’m not 100% sure on the foxes fabric (I put together a beautifully crafted collage of the fabrics below. I hope your like MS Paint) and how it’ll mesh with the others. If it isn’t a total goer then I’ll just add it to my stash.
Also, I finally got the good news I hinted at a few posts ago. I got accepted into a PhD program. In three-four years that’ll be Doctor Wonky Curved Seams to you.